Friday, May 11, 2007

The best salad

I've been eating the BEST salad for almost a week now. There have been multiple variations but the dressing has been the same and I think that's what makes it so good. That and the chevre (aka, Cheese No. 18). I created the dressing by loosely adapting a recipe in the Rebar cookbook that uses olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and honey (it's for a salad with nectarines). There may have been some other ingredients but I don't remember them now and (stupidly) I didn't write down the proportions I used.

I first used the dressing on a salad of mixed greens, pears, pecans and chevre that I served to N., B., and E. when they came over for dinner last Sunday night. Because it was so good, I made myself the same salad for lunch on Wednesday and Thursday. Today, I had no more chevre left so I was forced to used some of my second block of President's Choice Organic cheddar, which I had in the fridge. It wasn't the same, though. The chevre, labelled "Fromage de Chevre" from Choisy le Roi and purchased at my local ultra-budget No Frills, definitely added some deliciousness to the salad. Since there's still leftover dressing, I think I'm going to have to buy some more before I make this salad again...

<< Even though this cheddar is pretty good (and organic!), it's no substitute for chevre in my new favourite salad.

No comments: