Saturday, July 14, 2007

My fridge is all fromage & fruit

Went raspberry-picking at Spring View Farms in the hamlet of Leaskdale yesterday afternoon with B. Very cute "chemical-free" farm about 80km north of Toronto that does U-Pick strawberries, blackcurrants, and raspberries. (I'd tried to go there two weeks ago with S.W. and M. for strawberries but they were sold out so had to pick at Twinkle Berry Farm down the road.) We didn't have much time for picking because we only had a car co-op Yaris until 5:30pm and we didn't get to the farm until almost 3pm but we still picked 9 pints! And the berries are delicious. After I returned the car (and broke my cellphone by dropping it!), I walked up to look at a room for rent near Dupont & Christie, along the way picking up the cherries, strawberries, and blueberries I'd left in the fridge at work on Thursday.

The room for rent was cute and little red house on Clinton had potential (lots of room, cheap rent, a designated "sewing room", backyard, basement with laundry...) but it didn't feel quite right for me. However, it was just a two-minute walk away from one of my favourite Toronto supermarkets: Fiesta Farms (which, if you remember, is the place I spent nearly $75 as a pre-birthday present to myself) . This store is a sort of Italian/organic grocery-store heaven: they have an entire aisle devoted to pasta & sauce, their selection of olive oils and balsamic vinegars is amazing, they have great produce, tonnes of reasonably priced organic "staples," and a not-bad selection of cheese. So, not only do I have a tonne of fruit in my fridge, I also have 3 new kinds of cheese to taste this weekend:
  • Saint Morgon: a soft ripened cheese from Choisy Le Roi, France (website in Norwegian)

  • Capriny: a soft unripened goat's milk cheese from Saint-Raymond de Portneuf, Quebec

  • DorĂ©-Mi: a semi-soft unripened cheese from Montreal, Quebec*
* labelled as "The Perfect Cheese to Grill," which means I will be calling up B. (once I have a phone again) and asking if we can grill it on her rooftop-deck BBQ...

No comments: